IP Home Port Home
You are here : IP Home Port > General Ads > Gear For Sale > Autopilot Drive Units

Main Menu
Not Logged In
Register
Login
Forum Home
Help
IP Model Info
IP Comparisons
HIN Decoder
Boat Ads
General Ads

Search
 Search 
Search Usernames

Autopilot Drive Units
 Moderated by: Stuart W, Grainne
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 

AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-06-2018 11:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Frank

Model: IP32
Hull #: 76
Name: CBREEZE

My Gallery
These are bullet proof Benmar drives from the 70s and 80s. Metal gears, oilite bronze bushings, ball bearing motors,and a fool proof mechanical clutch on the output shaft (no gear box drag when hand steering).
These things will outlast even an Island Packet. They couple to the rear of the steering shaft with a chain and sprocket. The mechanical clutch gets rid of that 1 amp (24 amp hrs per day) parasitic load of the modern electric clutch AP drive units.  Like stray dogs and cats I keep picking them up on ebay, cleaning and greasing the gear box, oiling the motor bearings, and spraying a little black paint on the cases. Fully tested and and money back guaranteed operational. I am currently driving mine with a Raymarine X-5, but should work with any type of modern auto pilot that drives a 12 Volt dc motor/ actuator. In the past I have driven it with ST 4000+, S1, S1G, S3G.  Sips electricity.  My stereo is now moved above the auto pilot in in electrical consumption. Pictures in my gallery of the installation on Cbreeze. Neat little knob clutch arrangement beside the steering shaft.  You get one actuator, a parts list and sketches for aluminum mount (no welding required), pictures, and hand holding as required.  I am not coming to your boat to do the install.  If you can drill a hole you can do this. There is a mechanical overload clutch in the gear train and I have managed to slip it on two occasions when way over canvassed, in a big blow (rail in the water), so think wheel pilot operated ships would be the largest practical application.

Get that UGLY CLUGE off your wheel for 2018 and look like a real yacht. $400 including domestic shipping.

Such a Deal Frank

Attachment: AP Drives (Medium).jpg (Downloaded 166 times)

Last edited on 03-07-2018 06:43 pm by Frank

Posted: 03-07-2018 12:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Stuart W
Dockmaster

Model: IP27
Hull #: 29
Name: Shenandoah
DSC ID: 88888888 ...
Facebook: 
LinkedIn: 

My Gallery
Are you sure that you never did late night TV ads for used cars???   ;)

Posted: 03-07-2018 03:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Frank

My Gallery
We could put one on that Dodge Ram and you could have the first Tesla Pick Up sans-battery.  You will be responsible for aux sensors and computer smarts.. 

Posted: 07-02-2018 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Richard A

Hi Frank,

I had a Raymarine auto helm 3000 ST on my IP31. It was stolen this spring when my boat was broke into and burgled. I have been looking for another one or something to replace it. Edson rack and pinion steering system has made the search a bit more difficult, especially since there are no other owners of IP that I could find in New Brunswick, Canada.
Is this system adaptable to my boat ?

I would appreciate any help you could offer, thanks.

Richard A

Posted: 07-03-2018 12:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Grainne
Super Moderator

Model: IP350
Hull #: 57
Name: Gra'inne - Owner till Feb 2015

My Gallery
Add a sprocket to the wheel shaft, a drive chain,fabricate a support shelf for the drive and add an autopilot core pack and you will have a great below deck autopilot.

https://ip350grainne.blogspot.com/
https://www.svgrainne.net

Posted: 07-03-2018 03:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Frank

My Gallery
Richard,

The short answer is yes.   Take a look at my photos for the pictures of the install on Cbreeze and then crawl around in your ship and think about access to the rudder area.  I have never been into the innards of a 31 so just no experience.  Also check the aft end of the steering shaft (run the rudder over to the stop, remove the seat, reach back) and make sure the keyway is in the shaft and also if the key is still there.  

Might also check to see if you can slip a 1" thick block of wood between the end of the shaft and the inside surface of the transom.  Not having to tear into the shaft/ rack assy would make the install a lot easier.

You didn't say what is left of the old 3000 or what you are looking at for a replacement.  This Benmar drive configured for driving the wheel shaft uses so little current that an RM Evo wheel pilot is more than up to the task.  You can buy the system and then sell the wheel drive unit on ebay to recoup some of the cost.

It's a little work but really produces a superior system to anything I have seen on the older IPs.

Frank

Posted: 07-04-2018 01:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Richard A

Thanks so much for your quick replies Frank and Gra'inne
All I have left of the raymarine is the belt and the
Cockpit mounting brackets and of course, the manual!
I'm into the tail of a long chemo cycle so communication will be a bit erratic...
But will get back to you shortly,
Thanks again
Richard Archer

Current time is 09:00 pm
You are here : IP Home Port > General Ads > Gear For Sale > Autopilot Drive Units

Gallery Menu
IP Home Port Gallery
View All Photos
View My Photos
Upload Photos
Edit My Gallery

Visit The Factory

IPs For Sale

IP Home Port
Yacht World
Sailboat Listings
Boat Trader